Checkers store now runs off-grid

Updated: Mar 17

A checkers store in Sitari, Western Cape has gone off-grid and runs on wind and solar power. According to a News 24 article, the Sitari village mall outside Somerset west has a 635kWp solar installation on its rooftop. It provides 35% of power and the remaining 65%(1 752 MWh) is sourced from an Eskom wind plant.

"This is enough to power the entire centre, including the Checkers supermarket, entirely on renewables," said Checkers in a statement on Tuesday according to a News24 article. Shoprite doubled its solar capacity last year aiming to reach an operation of approximately 25% using renewable energy.


Source Penelope Mashego, (2022), This Checkers store now runs on wind and solar power only. News24. [online] 15th March. Available from: https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/this-checkers-store-now-runs-on-wind-and-solar-power-only-20220315

 

Sign up for the Nepoworx Solar PV Project Finance course in order to better understand how to get involved in supplying retailers and corporates with electricity or conduct Solar PV Installations at an Industrial level.




32 views

Recent Posts

See All